Visiting Putrajaya  


The beautiful dome of Mesjid Putrajaya (Putrajaya Mosque).

The Prime Minister's Office building.

Putrajaya is the new Malaysia's government administration centre and it is named after the first Malaysia Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra. It has a beautiful city centre with large uniquely shaped building that makes you feel like you are somewhere abroad. Last week I was in Putrajaya and everywhere you see are gardens of flowers that the city is dubbed as the Garden and Intelligent City and the surrounding environment is very welcoming that will make you want to come again and again.


The many flowers at and around the Putrajaya Mosque.


Since Malaysia is celebrating its 50th year of independence, Putrajaya held many events, one of which is the Putrajaya Floria that I manage to get to. Initially I wanted to see the Malaysia International Fireworks Competition 2007, with the camera ready and the mind set but somehow something came up at home and need to go back home to Batu Pahat and as such I was unable to watch it, so unfortunate.Visiting Putrajaya is definitely a must, even for a Malaysian because it really represent the new Malaysia and I assure you that it is a worth the effort. And it is not infected by the traffic jam yet as of Kuala Lumpur. Even seeing the city centre from above, from Google Earth is kind of a welcoming design, first impression one must somehow feel that the architect and the town planner must have watched too much National Geographic or maybe the movie "Sign" played by Mel Gibson I guess it is intentional that Putrajaya welcomes visitors from above and beyond.

Aerial view or rather a satellite view of Putrajaya City Centre, snapshot from Google Earth.

One thing that I really don't understand is the naming usage of places at Putrajaya is rather differs from most of Malaysian places. I suppose it came from the US, or an influence from Singapore naming of Precinct for block or groups of housing estate. The various places are called Presint and many blocks of buildings are called Parcel. Parcel C, D and E or Presint 1, 2, 3 and etc.

Anyhow, I could see a lot of tourist visiting Putrajaya, armed with camcorder and all sorts of digital imaging devices. But I supposed I managed to get to take a photo of a forgotten visitors.

The Forgotten Visitor.


Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 comments: to “ Visiting Putrajaya

  • Pradeep Nair
    August 29, 2007 at 2:31 PM  

    Putrajaya is marvellous. I appreciate the efforts of Malaysian govt in making this capital city in such a planned manner. The expressway from Putrajaya to airport is amazing... at one stretch I counted 12 lanes, 6 on each side... Wow! Read my tour diary on my blog

  • waliz
    September 1, 2007 at 11:34 PM  

    i am so proud of my country and especially to Tun Dr Mahathir for his ideas and visions..

And the code is FSKSW230137

Amazon